"Hardhitting and also funny" - says regular viewer and best friend

Follow me on Twitter! @catholicgirly


Sunday, May 15, 2011

Diary of a Mad Maritimer



It's been 29 days since we last saw the sun.

28? 27? I've lost count. Maybe it hasn't even been that long.
Earlier in the week someone on the bus said it was 23 or 24 days.

Things have been tense.
Everyone is grouchy and pushes past one another on the street.
I can't remember the last time I overheard a civilised conversation on a cell phone.
Girls on their phones on the bus, yelling at the person on the other end and begrudgingly saying "I love you too" as they hang up.

But they don't mean it.

No one means it anymore.

We have become mole people. Or fish people. Or both.
I shudder at the gruesome images that once we all laughed at, but are now becoming a reality.

I thought I saw the sun for about two minutes the other day, but it may have been a hallucination. Pure delirious-ness setting in after much wishful thinking.
Though, others claimed to have seen it too, but we may all be going mad together.

The trees that line our streets still look as though it were mid-January. They all look dead and have yet to grow leaves for the upcoming summer. Without the sun, they will remain bare and ugly. Branches filled with buds that can't open.

How cruel nature can be.

Every day I wake up to a grey and bleak sky. That ghastly grey torments me; torments us all. I've given up checking the weather channel. It's the same thing day in and day out.



It mocks me, daring me to keep hoping for sun.

Where are you sun? What terrible fate has befallen you?



Wherever you are, please hurry back to us soon.

There aren't enough vitamin supplements for everyone in this city.

No comments:

Post a Comment